Gitmo 2 to stay in Ghana as refugees – Foreign Minister
The gov’t says the Gitmo 2, Mahmud Umar Muhammad Bin Atef and Khalid Muhammed Salih Al-Dhuby are set to continue their stay in Ghana following the expiration of a two-year agreement with the US gov’t.
Foreign Minister, Hon. Shirley Ayorkor Botchwey told Parliament that the two have been given refugee status and are therefore the responsibility of the Ghana gov’t. Hon. Botchwey said there was no discussion of an exit plan between Ghana and the US which meant that immediately the stay expired, the US gov’t is not obliged to take them back. She said the Akufo-Addo gov’t has found records that show that the two were granted Ghanaian refugee status in a letter dated July 23, 2016. It meant the NDC gov’t had already agreed to keep them in Ghana even before their two-year stay expired on January 6, 2018.